Monday, June 16, 2008

Blogging is for Narcissists and Serial Killers

Hi, I'm Jay. I am the irrational male half of this blog. I am both things in the post title... probably.

I don't even know if this thing is public enough for anyone to care? Should I give a spiel for people who MIGHT read it?

The title of this blog comes from an email I got from a "for reals" animator while I was still in college. I had sent an email to an animator named Lance Falk, who had worked on SWAT Kats, one of my favorite shows growing up. He was kind enough to share some tips on getting into the business with me, and then promptly informed me that I was, quite frankly, not going to be getting into said business because I sucked hard at drawing.

Lesson learned.

He imparted a piece of advice upon me that I've kept with me. I lost the original email but the wisdom went something as follows:

"Keep drawing. Everyone has a stack of 500,000 bad drawings on top of their stack of good drawings. The more you draw, the faster you work through that pile of 500,000 bad drawings to the good drawings underneath."

So in a fit of lunacy, Marji decided we should put this blog together to lay our fucking souls bare on this blog, as we catalogue our journey. She wants to get better at using color, because she does not suck at drawing. I, on the other hand, am just working through my stack of 500,000. Pity me, dear reader.

At least I didn't get the name of the blog wrong.

No comments: